Whilst we all wait for technology and engineering to bypass this dilemma, carbon offset programs remain the only pragmatic solution for airlines who want to do ‘the right thing’.
But positioning can be difficult. Carbon offsetting has directly led to the avoidance of billions of tonnes of emissions into the world’s atmosphere but the vital role it plays within wider environmental strategy can still be difficult to communicate.
The QAS is finding a voice for that sense of responsibility. Launched in 2012, the QAS is leading the way in regulating the global carbon offset industry with rigorous independent audit and the tightest set of rules worldwide. Our over-arching standard simplifies the myriad rules and methodologies necessary for robust carbon offsetting under a new credible brand. Which makes your difficult job just a little bit easier.
QAS-approved carbon offsets are audited against at least 40 criteria, making it the most comprehensive standard in the world for carbon offsetting. Included are emissions factors, calculation methodologies, project methodologies, registry retiral, radiative forcing index, DEFRA Green Claims Guidance, pricing and other information provision.
Airlines with their own carbon offset programs can apply directly to the QAS to have their offsets audited, approved and awarded the QAS Quality Mark, or IATA can take set up airline carbon offset programs on your behalf and handle the QAS application for you.
To find out more, please contact us to arrange a call back.
- Safeguard reputation by demonstrating compliance with the world’s most stringent standards, audited annually by a respected independent auditor
- Differentiate from competitors with clear positioning and co-branding
- Encourage passengers to offset their flights with guidance on better information, reassurance on quality and independent verification
- Increased visibility through co-promotion & search marketing on QAS website and social media channels
- Free Carbon Neutral Quality Mark to promote your environmental credentials
- One recognisable Quality Mark to make good carbon offsets easy to find
- Better information on the websites you buy your flights and carbon offsets from
- Reassurance that you are buying carbon offsets with the toughest quality control worldwide
There is simply no alternative to aviation when it comes to long distance travel. Aviation contributes around 2% of man-made global CO2 emissions. We take this challenge seriously and we have to improve our fuel efficiency by over 70% since we first started flying jets. We are one of the only global sectors to have a robust and ambitious plan in place to reduce emissions by 2050 to half of what they were in 2005. Carbon offsetting forms a part of our overall strategy and is an immediate, direct and pragmatic means to encourage action to limit climate change s, at least in the short-term.
An integral part of any quality carbon offset program is independent certification to ensure that both the carbon calculation methodology and offsets are of the highest standard and quality. The IATA Offset Program and the airlines associated with it have been independently certified by the QAS, complying with the most comprehensive and stringent audit mechanism for offsetting. IATA and the airlines in the program are proud to carry the QAS logo as seal of approval and credibility.